- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk, at room temperature
- Sea salt and white pepper
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
- 1 pound dry rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons butter, diced
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon which will take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fontina and prosciutto. Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pot of salted water, boil the rigatoni and cook for about 5 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander. Return pasta to the pot and pour in bechamel sauce then mix well.
- Place pasta with sauce into a baking dish. Top with diced butter and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling and the top is golden brown.