- Olive oil or butter
- 2 pounds bottom round, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown ale or dark beer
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaf
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the beef and brown on all sides, turning frequently, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker. Remove oil from pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and brown the remaining beef. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to medium heat, add mushrooms and onions. Cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Pour in ale and bring to a boil until thickened and bubbling, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add carrots, garlic, mustard, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Combine well. Cook on low for at least 8 hours.