• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt until light and fluffy which is about 2 minutes then beat in the egg and flour. Stir in the dried cherries and almonds.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and shape it into a log, about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line 2 heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the log crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Transfer the dough slices to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 1-inch apart. Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges and puffed, about 15 minutes.