England Clam Chowder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cans of clams
- 4 cans of chicken broth
- 1 pound white boiling potatoes, chopped
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and diced bacon then saute until clear. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate pot, bring clams and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender which is about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Pour hot clam stock into butter and flour mixture and stir constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add cooked potatoes. Add half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper. Heat through but do not boil.