• 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg beaten for egg wash
• 7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
• Apricot jam or fruit jam of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- In an electric mixer, combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add the flour and salt. Mix well. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown.