Onion Soup with Fontina
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large Vidalia onions, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 slices ciabatta bread, cubed
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat then add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are tender which is about 10 minutes. Add the fresh thyme leaves and broth. Simmer until onions are soft which is about 15 minutes.
- Divide the soup into 2-4 ovenproof ramekins. Divide the cubed bread among the ramekins. Top each with slices of fontina cheese.
- Place under the broiler about 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.