- 24 fresh, unopened oysters
- 1 cup beer
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
- Clean oysters, and place in a large stockpot. Pour in beer and enough water to cover oysters; add 2 cloves garlic, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, drain, and cool.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Once oysters are cooled, break off and discard the top shell. Arrange the oysters on a baking sheet.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft. Reduce heat and stir in spinach, fontina, and mozzarella. Cook until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Stir in the milk then season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over each oyster, just filling the shell. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake until golden and bubbly, approximately 8 minutes.