Penne with Spinach Pesto
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- A handful of walnut pieces
- 1 cup packed spinach or baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup packed arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil then add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In a small skillet, toast the walnuts over medium heat for 5 minutes. In a food processor, puree the nuts, spinach, arugula, basil and garlic then season with salt and pepper. With the machine on, pour in the olive oil and honey. Mix until a thick paste forms. Transfer the pesto to a large pasta bowl and stir in the parmigiano-reggiano and reserved pasta cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the pesto, toss to combine and serve.